среда, 19 сентября 2012 г.

Ya can't buck a roo from the rodeo. (rodeo champion Dave Appleton's clothing line) (DNR West) - Daily News Record

'I grew up in a town that makes Dodge City look big, but I wanted to be a cowboy. If you really want to see how good you are as a cowboy, you have to go where the best are. And the best are here in America.'

FORTH WORTH -- You don't have to be raised in the Old West to exude cowboy charisma. Consider Dave Appleton. The World Champion wrangler started his rodeo career about as far from the Western plains as you can get.

'I grew up in a town that makes Dodge City look big,' said the 34-year-old Appleton, who hails from the central highlands of Queensland, Australia. 'But I wanted to be a cowboy. If you really want to see how good you are as a cowboy, you have to go where the best are. And the best are here in America.'

Anxious to test his mettle, Appleton packed his gear and moved to Texas in 1980. He enrolled in college, joined the rodeo team and studied welding. Welding? 'I figured if the Big Plan [of riding rodeo] didn't work out, well, at least I'd have a skill I could fall back on,' he said of his degree choice.

Following graduation in 1982, Appleton hit the rodeo circuit full time, specializing in bareback and saddle bronc. He made it to the National Finals his first year, and in 1986 he took home the top honors for saddle bronc riding. Two years later, he captured the coveted title of World Champion All-Around Cowboy.

While collecting trophy buckles. Appleton also picked up his nickname, The Lone Roo. 'It's a combination of Lone Star State, since I'm now from Texas, and the kangaroo for Australia,' he said.

In 1991, Appleton's rodeo career came to a crashing halt when he twisted his wrist during a dismount at a San Jose event. 'I was getting off after a ride when the horse stumbled,' he said. 'I went over his shoulders, but my hand stayed in the bareback rig. I bent my wrist all around.'

The tumble took Appleton off the circuit. 'Today, I sort of view that mishap as a blessing in disguise,' he said. 'I was havig a bad year in rodeo anyway--I couldn't get the horses to buck. I'd also just started this shirt line with Karman. After my accident, I was able to dedicate all my time to promoting the line.'

The line's logo is depicted by a cowboy riding a kangaroo. The emblem hops across hangtags, labels and the breast pocket of Appleton's shirt collection. Sold in over 3,000 stores nationwide, the button-front shirts range in prices from $40 to $52. The collection also includes Lone Roo T-shirts for $18 and caps for $12.

While recuperating, Appleton also expanded his retail base. Three years ago, he inked a deal with Karman to lend his mane to a line of women's wear. Tagged The Lone Roo Collection, this separates line features ideas culled by the rodeo star and his wife, Keelie. Prices range from $100 for a patchwork vest or velvet-and-denim skirt, to $120 for a shaped, velvet blouse.

The couple offer suggestions and direction to the Karman designers who crafr the lines. 'We can't call ourselvesx designers, but we have fun,' said Appleton. 'My wife laughs because I never used to care about shopping or fashion. Now I don't mind going to the stores. You never know where you'll find an idea. I never thought I'd say shopping is exciting, but it is.'

Recently, Appleton felt the urge to ride rodeo again. 'I'm still in good health,' said the only Australian to ever win a World Championship. 'I'd like to go to the Finals this year and finish my career right. I'm looking at this as my last year. However, if things work out, I could go another year. Who knows?'

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий